Hi all. For now just posting to -performance and -questions. Please advise
if e.g. -hardware is more suitable.

I first reported this issue on forum:
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/mrsas-and-the-mystery-of-lost-speed.79585/
which will offer you detailed report. Here're cliffnotes:

Dell R730 + PERC H730 (LSI SAS3108 controller) + SAS-3 12Gbps SSD drives.
With `mrsas` driver I'm getting transfers reported 150MB/s which is
obviously nonsense (best guess is mrsas thinks its talking SAS-1 at 1Gbps)
and indeed random IO tested with `fio` on FreeBSD and on Linux show 2x perf
difference.

Above Forum post links respective spec-sheets etc.

Was also advised that something similar had been reported for another LSI
3108 controller
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/system-hang-freezing-boot-lsi-3108-and-seagate-exos-7e8.76373/
but was solved by replacing controller with another model.

I'm also seeing a separate issue where for whatever reason PERC controller
BIOS reports negotiated speed for the drives at 6Gbps - but that's probably
some HW issue. Trying to figure this with Dell community support, my seller
and anyone who would listen really.

Thank you
--
Best regards