John Hay wrote:
It looks like ports/UPDATING is mixing sysutils/portmanager and
portmaster in the 20061014 part that tells how to update gnome. Is
that on purpose?

The entry says this:

20061014:
  AFFECTS: All GNOME users

  GNOME has been updated to 2.16 and all GNOME components have been
  moved from X11BASE to LOCALBASE, to upgrade your GNOME desktop and
  applications you will need either sysutils/portupgrade or
  sysutils/portmaster.

 Portupgrade users:
  pkgdb -Ff
  portupgrade -rf glib-2\* cairo gnome-doc-utils gnome-mime-data \
        gnome-audio startup-notification dbus

 Portmaster users:
  portmaster -r pkg-config\*

The introductory paragraph says "either/or," so it seems pretty clear to me that if you use portupgrade, do X; if you use portmaster, do Y. I'm sure however that if you have suggestions for improving that paragraph, the gnome folks would like to hear them. :)

For those that choose to use portmaster to do the upgrade, first of all, thanks. :) Second, please make sure that you use the latest version (1.9), and do NOT attempt this with earlier versions. If you do, it will fail in a spectacular and painful fashion. I worked closely with mezz to make sure that portmaster would Do The Right Thing for this upgrade, and found and fixed several problems with the way -r was handled previously in the process.

One last thing, you will probably be happier if you add either -d (to delete all stale distfiles) or -D (to not delete any distfiles) to the beginning of your command line for portmaster. That way once you get past the 'make config' stage and actually start building stuff, you _probably_ won't have to answer any more questions. Also, given that if this update fails part way through, a backup package of the old port probably won't help you, you could save yourself some time by using the -G option as well.

In the unlikely *cough* event that portmaster chokes a bunny while doing this upgrade for you, please feel free to send a message to the list, and cc: me. I do pay attention to those messages, but given my real world commitments at this time, you might very well get the right answer faster from someone on the -ports@ list before I could provide it.

hth,

Doug