On 11/23/06, Kris Kennaway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Thu, Nov 23, 2006 at 01:23:01PM -0800, Bakul Shah wrote:
> > The problem is that kldloading a module if it's already in the kernel
> > can cause a panic.  Also if the module becomes stale with respect to
> > the running kernel, this approach can cause a lot of confusion.
>
> I thought the following would do the trick:
>
>     kldstat -m aio >/devnull 2>&1 || kldload aio
>
> > Something I'd like to see is
> >
> > a) Fixing the kldload "double load" problems
>
> See above.  Works in -current at least.

It "should" work, but people sometimes report that it doesn't
(i.e. when they get the resulting panic).  It at least needs to be
investigated.

I ran across this problem when trying to write a port for my wireless
adapter, to determine if the kernel module was loaded, so that it
could be unloaded before the module was removed from the system:

hp010# kldload ./bcmwl564_sys.ko
hp010# kldstat | grep bcm
11    1 0xffffffffa2d8b000 84f20    bcmwl564_sys.ko
hp010# kldstat -m bcmwl564_sys
kldstat: can't find module bcmwl564_sys: No such file or directory
hp010# kldstat -m pci/bcmwl564_sys
Id  Refs Name
378    1 pci/bcmwl564_sys

I found that value by using kldstat -v, and picking one of of the
named modules listed under bcmwl564_sys.ko.

This could be why people are seeing the folowing fail:

 kldstat -qm <module> || kldload <module>

Scot
--
DISCLAIMER:
No electrons were mamed while sending this message. Only slightly bruised.