Peter Matulis wrote:

[ snip ]

 my secondary MX is a FreeBSD box with no such protection and I fear
that the spammers will just take advantage of the fact that my secondary MX has weaker protections than my primary.

Yes, best practice is to configure all MX servers in the same way. Especially so if you plan to give spam servers a punch in the face
(stuttering, greylisting, etc).  I am also interested in spamd but will
not use it because I do not have control of the other mailservers.

Well, I found out the hard way. I configured my primary mailserver to use a few of the less political rbls and found that the spammers adapted by hitting my secondary MX....

-- Chris