Hi All.

I have been using FreeBSD as a desktop system, on serveral computers for about
one and a half year now. I truly love FreeBSD! But keeping third party
ports/packages updated is just to timeconsuming IMHO.

Building everything from ports is ok, on a quick machine, but even on a quick
machine building KDE takes a LOT of time. Waiting until the stable packages are
ready takes about 2 - 3 weeks, and until then, a lot of other stuff needs to be
updated.

Compared to Debian GNU/Linux's "apt-get update && apt-get dist upgrade"
command, OR OpenBSD's "pkg-add -u"

>From OpenBSD's man page for "pkg_add":

     -u       Update the given pkgname(s), and anything it depends upon.  If
              no pkgname is given, pkg_add will update all installed packages.
              This relies on PKG_PATH to figure out the new package names.

I really think it is time for FreeBSD to make it more easy to update binary
packages, like on OpenBSD.

Best and kind regards,
Rico