I have looked into making the registration and package-building process even faster. It seems to me that the easiest way would be to redesign the package database so that it also includes a package-name/+DEPENDENCIES file, which would be a kind of reverse of package-name/+REQUIRED_BY. This could be used instead of "make package-depends" in creating PKG_ARGS in bsd.port.mk. Creating +DEPENDENCIES would be very easy - you "cat" together the files of the immediate dependencies ${RUN_LIB_DEPENDS} and do a "uniq" to the final result.

Stephen