On Sat, 16 Jun 2007, Kris Kennaway wrote:

I may have had to use the statically linked /rescue to do some things,
I don't remember.  It's not completely trivial, but someone who knows
their way around a FreeBSD system can do it.
We did it by using miniroot on swap partition of the system disk.
This approach has an advantage of keeping at least one good bootable
base system installation in any moment. Also, it allows move in both
directions, i.e. i386 <-> amd64.

Yeah, that's a neat trick to remember.  Another trick for doing
i386->amd64 is to install your new world into a DESTDIR, tar it up,
put the tarball onto the root filesystem, boot the new amd64 kernel
into single-user mode and use /rescue/tar to spam the amd64 tarball
over the i386 world.

I've used the miniroot-on-swap approach before. Another trick I used this week (when I had to do four i386->amd64 migrations) was to build a netbootable amd64 system, PXE-boot that, and then installworld to the local disks that way.