Garrett Cooper wrote:
I'm currently running a gamut of tests (500 tests, per package -- 128 total on my server), and outputting all data to CSV files to interpret later, using another Perl script to interpret calculated averages and standard deviations.

Using basic printf(2)'s with clock_gettime(2) I have determined that the majority of the issues are disk-bound (as Tom Kientzle put it). The scope of my problem is not to analyze tar, but I've discovered that a lot of time is spent in reading and interpreting the +CONTENTS and related files (most notably in parsing commands to be honest).

Will post more conclusive results tomorrow once all of my results are available.

Cheers,
-Garrett
Forgot to include [EMAIL PROTECTED]
-Garrett