Ivan Voras wrote:
Pav Lucistnik wrote:

Hmm, recreating a package from the installed port and installing it
again in chroot() sounds pretty straightforward to me...

It has the indispensable quality that it works. The downsides are the
overhead in CPU consumption (compress, decompress) and disk space.

Compressing and decompressing packages still takes an inordinate amount of time from what I've seen, so it's probably not the best idea to do.

What would happen too if one or more of the config files was modified by a third-party (third-party being outside of the ports/package tools and the original FreeBSD volunteer / package maintainer)? That wouldn't work (unless you made the modifications yourself), but after that point the package becomes sort of undistributable.

The only way AFAIK to circumvent that issue would be if you someone installed / created the package via a tinderbox (which is the way that it's done currently, correct?).

-Garrett