On Sep 13, 2007, at 12:21 AM, Peter Jeremy wrote:
I'm working on a port for H-Inventory (a computer inventory/resource
management tool).  By default, it installs a copy of the GPL.
According to the Porter's Handbook, a port should avoid installing
copies of the GPL.  Whilst it's fairly easy to adapt the port so it
doesn't install the license file, the installed web pages include at
least one hyperlink to the file (I haven't done a complete check).

What is the preferred mechanism for handling this?
- Ignore the Porter's Handbook and install the file anyway
- Create a symlink to an existing copy of the GPL.
  (In which case, where do I find a GPL that will always exist)
- Change the hyperlink to point to a copy of the GPL on the Internet
- something else.

It wouldn't hurt to install the file anyway, but if you'd like to try to following the Porter's Handbook recommendations more closely, making a symlink to /usr/src/gnu/COPYING is going to provide you with the GPLv2 license text, presuming /usr/src is available on the machine in question.

I don't think the third option is a good idea-- if the license for the software requires one to make the license text available, then it should be available from the same machine which the software is on.

Regards,
--
-Chuck