Chuck Robey wrote:
Doug Barton wrote:
Jason C. Wells wrote:
Doug Barton wrote:
On Mon, 19 Nov 2007, Jason C. Wells wrote:

What I am trying to do is to build 30 or so packages including the
big ones like X, kde, gnome, plus all of their dependencies on a
build host and then use pkg_add on various machines.  I have had a
variety of difficulties with all of the methods I have used thus far
(portmaster, portupgrade, homegrown).
What problems did you have with portmaster? Did the backup package
creation fail in some way?

Not all dependencies had a package built for them.  For my list of 31
ports that I actually desired to build there was a dependency list (make
all-depends-list) of 758 ports.  Of those 758 ports there were 427
packages built.

That's disturbing, but I think I know why it happened, see below.

I'm more disturbed that this piece of news isn't common knowledge. Those numbers actually understate the problem. Just one commonly required port, one of the browsers like Firefox, alone brings in over 300 dependencies.

xorg itself brings in 262 dependencies. It is because metaports like xorg and gnome2 have been split into smaller and smaller ports. Thus far, I have never installed a port that I felt brought in unwanted dependencies.