On Tue, 4 Dec 2007, Stefan Sperling wrote:

On Mon, Dec 03, 2007 at 02:53:12PM -0800, Doug Barton wrote:
Clint Olsen wrote:
I've tried redirecting standard output/error, both /bin/sh and /bin/csh,
and I can't run this in batch.  I'm trying to build gnome which takes
hours, and I want it backgrounded so that if this SSH shell disconnects it
doesn't crater the build.  You would think that --batch would make this
happen, but no go.

While I know screen(1) has a lot of devotees, you could almost
certainly use nohup for this same purpose, with the pleasant side
effect that you will have a log of what happened on disk in case
something blows up.

Screen also has log functionality.
Toggle with: Ctrl+A, then Shift+H

You can also use "script" to capture the output fairly easily.