On Nov 12, 2007, at 12:04 PM, Jeremy Messenger wrote:
I don't count this as a good reason, since there is no reason to do it in complicate way for portmaster. The portmaster required root for install, so why not just login as in root and run portmaster?

So why does the ports tree currently allow you to run "make install" as non-root and escalate when necessary?

Exactly.

You do have a good point but I have yet to see configure/build will mess up the filesystem, which

Heh, if I cared enough I could dig up a few dozen examples. Most people aren't good scripters. Even fewer are good at autoconf, and voila you get runaway commands that import the root directory and execute it...

place) around in / filesystem a few of times. Kind of no difference.

Big difference. Easy to read install: before running make. Hard to read autoconf scripts.

--
Jo Rhett
senior geek

Silicon Valley Colocation