Kevin,

XMMS hasn't been an actively maintained piece of software for a long,
long time[1]. Several projects[2] have grown from it:

XMMS --> Beep Media Player (BMP) --> BMPx
                                 \--> Audacious

That said, I still plan to move to xmms2

XMMS2 is a very different beast from the Winamp like player XMMS was
(is). For a current simple GTK based audio placer like XMMS, see audacious.

FWIW, I have trouble with audacious playing ogg vorbis streams. Other
than that, I've had no problems with it.

after my system finishes rebuilding all of its ports this weekend after my move from RELENG_7 to HEAD. (I normally run HEAD, but I stay
on a new version until it is released.)

If you've done it before, then I presume you are used to ports having
trouble building and running and the occasional need for compats.

[1] http://www.xmms.org/
[2] http://audacious-media-player.org/
    http://bmpx.backtrace.info/
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/beepmp

--
-Andrew J. Caines-   Unix Systems Engineer   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
FreeBSD/Linux/Solaris, Web/Mail/Proxy/...   http://halplant.com:2001/