On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 07:48:23 -0700
Jeremy Chadwick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 02:52:35PM +0100, Miroslav Lachman wrote:
> > I am almost new to portmaster, so I got a question - is there any
> > possibility to restart installed services as in portupgrade with
> > defined BEFOREBUILD / BEFOREDEINSTALL / AFTERINSTALL? Or is there
> > any future plan to do so? It is annoying if I end up with some dead
> > services after upgrade just because I forgot to manualy
> > do /usr/local/etc/rc.d/some_daemon restart
>
> This is more a complaint about the existing ports infrastructure, as
> IMHO, it's something that should be handled there and not necessarily
> by "third-party" port management utilities.
>
> Some existing ports (such as smartmontools, i.e. smartd) do this,
> while others (such as postfix) do not.
>
> There are pros and cons to what you want.  I myself have never managed
> to conclude if the pros outweigh the cons -- or vice-versa -- but I
> have thought about it before.

I have had serious problems in the past when ports like MySQL were
updated but not restarted. Both 'portupgrade' and 'portmanager' can
correctly handle these situations however. I have no personal
information regarding 'portmaster' other than the fact that I am
unlikely to switch to a new port's maintenance program. Nothing I have
seen indicates that it is any more reliable, secure, useful or faster
than either 'portupgrade' or 'portmanager'.

--
Gerard
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

There are running jobs.