On Tuesday 25 March 2008, Norberto Meijome said:
> Hi Beech  et al,
>
> First of all, thanks so much for getting the latest linux version
> working on FBSD :)
>
> Some issues:
>
> - the url to get the OSS file isn't correct - the correct one it is
> now
>
> http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-linux-oss

That's just a link on their website to the address I have in the
Makefile. I verified that address correct this morning. That being
said, I have seen connectivity issues the past few days with their
download site and Skype is aware of it.

> If for some reason it doesn't work, i am happy to provide hosting
> for the file (if allowed by Skype's license of course).

Unfortunately, Skype's license doesn't allow us to mirror the
distfiles. I'm working on this, but for now we need to use the
official repo.

> I downloaded the file to /tmp, moved the old
> skype_static-1.4.0.118-oss.tar.bz2 out of the way, moved the new
> one to /usr/ports/distfiles,and it installed just fine.
>
> - After following the upgrade to linux-base-fc-6 , a portinstall -p
> net/skype would try to reinstall fc-4. This didn't happen when I
> did the manual process ( download of bz2 as per above, make clean;
> make ; make package ). No idea why is this... I even restarted to
> make sure I had a clean linux environment.

Try adding OVERRIDE_LINUX_BASE_PORT=fc6 to /etc/make.conf

> The new version with updated linux environment seems to be working
> quite well - on an initial test I can confirm that on exit it
> doesn't leave behind any process stuck ... thanks!!
>
> Beto
> _________________________
> {Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

On another note, Skype is about to release 2.0 in oss. I have the beta
and it works great (without video) and should be available shortly as
skype-devel. Stay tuned! If anyone here has experience with webcams
on FreeBSD and wants to contribute, please contact miwi@ or myself
off-list.

Cheers,

Beech

Beech Rintoul - FreeBSD Developer - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | FreeBSD Since 4.x
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail   | http://www.freebsd.org
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Latest Release:
/ \  - http://www.FreeBSD.org/releases/7.0R/announce.html