Siju George wrote:
Hi,

As far as I understand there is the ports tree that is released along
with an OS release and the security updates to specific ports has to
be followed through info on

http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/HOWTO#Testing_Samba4_Active_Directory_in_Ubuntu_7.04_howto

right?

I ask this because I am more familiar with OpenBSD and it has

1) The ports tree that comes with the OS Release
2) The ports tree that gets only security updates ( called ports-stable)
3) The ports tree that has newer versions of ports ( called ports-current )

Currently we do not maintain many branches as OpenBSD did due to limited human and compiling resources. What I usually do on FreeBSD is:

 - Update ports tree;
 - Install portupgrade, portaudit (both under ports-mgmt/)
 - portupgrade -rR `portaudit -Fqa`

The third step would update affected ports and their required dependencies plus ports depending on them. This is not perfect (if there is shared library version bump, but dependent ports revison is not bumped) but works just fine in most cases.

Cheers,
--
Xin LI <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>        http://www.delphij.net/
FreeBSD - The Power to Serve!