Doug Barton wrote:
Dominic Fandrey wrote:
Doug Barton wrote:

Portmaster uses CONFLICTS to avoid this issue. This isn't the first time I've heard this complaint about the java ports. I'm wondering if glewis could shed some light on why they don't have proper CONFLICTS set.

Because they don't conflict. /usr/local/bin/javac is a script that selects one of the installed JAVA VMs, dependant on what is available, environment
settings and a make variable that can be changed in make.conf.

AFAICT, javac isn't relevant to the issue of whether the various jdk ports conflict with each other. It's just a convenient way to handle the dependency question within the ports framework.

JDK Ports don't conflict. None of them. And because many Java developers
have several JDKs installed, noone will ever put a CONFLICT line into
JDK port.

The only way to resolve this is to detect weather a dependency is required
in the same way as a port does.

I suggest to check for the existence of the file and when the file is
from a different port, 'pkg_info -W' should be called and whatever turns
out to be the origin, should be entered as a dependency in /var/db/pkg.