Doug Barton wrote:

You have some very interesting ideas there. Not that I want to dissuade you in any way from doing this, but I would like to point out that portmaster already does some of what you're suggesting and it could fairly easily be modified to do just about all the rest of it. The two

I really want the standard ways of installing and upgrading packages (make install, portinstall) to support those features.

In terms of the rest of your proposal, off the top of my head the transaction IDs should probably be saved in /var/db/ports. I need to think harder about what format .... you could probably have a /var/db/ports/trans/ and then save the logs of the transactions as individual files by transaction ID. The wheels are spinning in my mind

I don't think this is a big problem. I have an idea how to record this data.

right now about how this could get hairy down the road when you install a bunch of stuff as dependencies for fooport, then you start doing upgrades on the individual dependencies the log of the transaction quickly becomes less valuable. Some thought would have to be given to exactly what the goals are, how long those logs should be valid/useful, etc.

Yes, rolling back old transactions, after individual packages in them have been updated will be a problem. I see a way out of it if only portupgrade is used for the upgrading so information exists about which package is upgraded by which.