On Sun, 25 Jan 2009, Robert Noland wrote:

On Sun, 2009-01-25 at 21:54 -0500, Alex Goncharov wrote:

Xorg is moving more in that direction... Using hal for device
configuration is now the default.  However, you can still statically
configure devices.  See xorg.conf(5), AllowEmptyInput, AutoAddDevices,
AutoEnableDevices.

So, yes you can still configure it without HAL support, it just isn't
the preferred method.

I've been avoiding HAL like the plague as well. It frobs my ath wireless card when it tries to probe it. Disabling it works, but KDE runs like garbage with hal running, and I get zombie processes of "hal-storage-cleanup--all-mountpoints" when I try to shut it down... In short, I avoid it wherever possible!