David O'Brien wrote:
I have to weigh all the screams of 'I want the newest Bash 4.0 *NOW*'
with testing.  I didn't see the issue of $() as my .bashrc and scripts
are too old and just use ``.

I agree with you and appreciate your efforts. Maintaining a port like this one with so many moving parts is a non-trivial effort. Do though, please, consider a line in UPDATING, perhaps including the appropriate portupgrade / portmaster incantations for the folks in production environments who really need to get /usr/local/bin/bash back to 3.x (portmaster -o shells/bash3 bash4-#-x-y did it for me)(replacing the #-x-y with whatever's in shells/bash now)

Optimally David do you think this should be treated like for ex python and install major version softlinks (bash3->bash or bash4->bash) to aid maintainers of bashN dependent ports? I think there may be a bunch :( logcheck is another one that doesn't like 4...

Thank you again for your work here.