Doug Barton wrote:

Andrew Reilly wrote:

[...]

but I
don't see a ready equivalent to this with portmaster, hence my
dumb script.  In particular, I don't think that portmaster can
combine the -r and -x flags (depend and exclude),

Ummm, why not? It's a little hard to represent in the man page because
there are so many flags, but -x is included in the "common flags" list
at the top, and the man page does indicate that -r will take the
common flags. You'd have to write it:

portmaster -x firefox -r firefox-2.34
(substitute the actual value for the installed firefox port)

but it should work.

I tried -r and -x few days ago in our last bug hunt in portmaster 2.9, and it did not work. I don't remember what exactly I tried, but I used -i instead and did not investigate if -r and -x is supposed to work together.

I can try it again with better attention.

There are at least three other ways to do something similar. One would
be to use -i instead of -x, another would be an +IGNOREME file. Read
the man page for how to use the latter.

Yet another way to do what you proposed in the part of your post that
I snipped (building based on a list) would have been to do this:

pkg_info -q -R firefox-2* > list
portmaster `cat list`

That's probably the simplest way to do what you were trying to
accomplish, and would have had the benefit of portmaster caching all
the data on up to date dependencies, and building the things in the
list in proper dependency order. Sorry to jump in after the fact with
this news, but hopefully it will help someone else.

[...]

Miroslav Lachman