As the current maintainer of the Allegro ports, I can tell you a few things here. For one, the devel/allegro port will be updated to 4.4.1.1 as soon as I can get some more time to finish patching it for FreeBSD and making sure those patches work. For two, devel/allegro-devel is meant to be Allegro's developmental version and does not necessarily need to be compatible with devel/allegro in any way, and as such, once I get devel/allegro updated, I will be updating devel/allegro-devel to 4.9.19. So basically, I would say is it up to the maintainers of ports relying on any Allegro ports to side with one of the ports and not rely on the other port. I can't force them into doing so, however.

Thanks,
Naram Qashat