On Fri, Jul 09, 2010 at 10:51:01PM +0200, Dominic Fandrey wrote:
> > Ok - but how do we define "experienced"? Someone who has submitted 100
> > PORTVERSION++ PRs? I'm not convinced we have enough contributors who are
> > experienced enough to be given commit rights, but not contributing
> > enough to be offered full access.
>
> Well, I don't see a mass recruiting plan in action and the typical
> response time for a ports PR has dropped from a couple of hours to
> something around a month following a singular event everyone
> here probably already knows about.
>
> Though there are a lot of committers, there aren't many active
> committers. The need seems obvious to me and I figured it would
> be obvious to create some middle ground where the demands from
> both sides are less.

Indeed, part of the problem is burn-out. We recruit committers, and then
their activity tapers off (I'm guilty of this myself). Part of this, I
believe, is down to the effort involved in maintaining a useful
(up-to-date) testing environment -- hence my advocacy of a centralised
tinderbox resource. The machines I used to use are out-of-date and
probably inadequate now.

I don't disagree in principle with the idea of having a middle ground,
just not sure (how) it would work in practice.

> > Cases where other ports need touching (e.g., library bumps), or an
> > update depends on another port/PR elsewhere could prove to be
> > problematic.
>
> Those are the kind of maintainers that have the commit bit anyway.
> People who do the major stuff like Xorg, KDE, gnome, autobreak ...
> I think those are also the people who carry the main burden of
> Maintainer PRs. They really shouldn't have to, they've got more
> than enough work.

> >> What needs to be done? (I.e. money, work hours)
> >
> > Machine(s), rack-space, someone to maintain said machines to a decent
> > standard. Possibly money could solve these issues. :-)
> >
> > I'm not sure how many non-committers were aware of / given access to tb3
> > and tb4 when they were around, but if tinderbox were used as a matter of
> > course, it would, I believe go some way to speeding things up.
> >

> So if I set up a private tinderbox and provide amd64 and i386
> 6-/7-/8-stable logs with every PR I submit it would hasten the
> processing of my PRs?
>
> If that is so, I'll get me a small quad-core with ~16GB RAM
> and a huge hard disk just for this purpose (my largest hard disk
> is the one in my notebook, not sufficient for all the distfiles
> and packages).

Sure, I would be more likely to look at / commit your patches in a
timely fashion if you've done part of the work for me. I'm pretty sure
it helped back when I was submitting lots of ports PRs.

--
Shaun Amott // PGP: 0x6B387A9A
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin