On 9/15/2010 1:18 AM, Greg Byshenk wrote:
On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 06:22:24PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:

[...]

I can think of at least one more scenario off the top of my head. You
want to run the new version of the service the next time the box is
restarted for whatever reason, but the update is not so critical that it
justifies restarting the system immediately.

Do 'you' (generic) -really- want to do this?

Once again, it's an area where the intelligence of the admin is expected to be applied. :) If you're thinking in terms of one machine, you're right, this probably isn't a good idea. However if you're thinking of a server farm with 1,000's of identical systems, a good QA process (so it's a known-good change), and monitoring in place to detect a failed reboot and take that box out of the pool; not only is what I described reasonable, it's commonplace.

hth,

Doug

                        -- Propellerheads