On 9/28/2010 11:30 AM, Dmitry Pryanishnikov wrote:
Hello!

   I'm trying to install Python additional ports (e.g. www/py-httplib2)
for different Python versions (2.6 and 3.1) in the same system using
the portmaster. Those packages (py26-httplib2 vs py31-httplib2) do not
conflict (they may be used simultaneously, don't overwrite each
other's files etc.). But they have single origin, which seems to
confuse the portmaster:

PYTHON_VERSION=python2.6 portmaster www/py-httplib2
===>>>  Installation of www/py-httplib2 (py26-httplib2-0.6.0) complete

Then

PYTHON_VERSION=python3.1 portmaster www/py-httplib2
===>>>  Upgrade of py26-httplib2-0.6.0 to py31-httplib2-0.6.0 complete

So portmaster thinks that it's an upgrade, and removes py26-httplib2,
which is not correct - I want to keep both packages:

py26-httplib2-0.6.0 A comprehensive HTTP client library
py31-httplib2-0.6.0 A comprehensive HTTP client library

Am I missing some portmaster's tunable, or it just doesn't support
such ports yet?

You're not missing anything. Portmaster's assumption is that $ORIGIN is always unique.

I would also argue that there is a fundamental assumption in the ports infrastructure that what you're doing here (installing both versions on the same system) is not supported. The ability to make the version of things like python or perl variable is a great feature of the ports infrastructure, but my understanding has always been that this would be a system-wide option, and that installing different versions of the same language on the same system is not supported.

That said, assuming that the 2 ports create different /var/db/pkg directories, and do not install files into the same location, you could use portmaster's -g option for the first install, then re-install the package after installing the second port. Or you could just not use portmaster for the second one.

hth,

Doug

                        -- Propellerheads