Dear list,

since there is no maintainer for net/mpich2 I am writing directly to the list. Hope this is ok.

I need MPICH2 for math/R (package Rmpi) and others (e.g. upcoming new package math/sprng, PR 154249). Software using MPICH2 complains about 'undefined symbols' like 'MPL_trfree'.

Looking into libmpich.so.2.0 (after building net/mpich2), it shows many undefined symbols (symbol names are stripped in installed version?):

nm work/mpich2-1.3/lib/libmpich.so.2.0 | grep " U "
                 U MPL_TrSetMaxMem
                 U MPL_env2bool
                 U MPL_env2int
                 U MPL_env2range
                 U MPL_env2str
                 U MPL_trDebugLevel
                 U MPL_trcalloc
                 U MPL_trdump
                 U MPL_trfree
                 U MPL_trid

I googled a lot and it seems that other OS have problems with these undefined symbols, too. For Gentoo, Ubuntu and some other Linuxes there are patches, which do not work for FreeBSD.

Because I am not a developer and I have almost no skills in programming C and C++, I would like to ask if someone could have a look at this problem. At the moment MPICH2 is useless for applications which need MPL_ symbols.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Rainer Hurling