On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 17:40:36 -0400
Eitan Adler <li...@eitanadler.com> mentioned:

> The ports tree can be very fickle and touching a large class of ports
> requires multiple exp-runs. Attempting these types of changes
> just prior to release adds a degree of risk which no one wants to accept.

Who don't want to accept this?
Who is making this decision for everyone?

> Affecting *every single port* is not a negligible risk.

I can easily commit whatever I want to bsd.ruby.mk right now
affecting all the ports (and nobody will say a word), but we can't
do a conditional fix in bsd.port.mk?  I'd say the first one poses
much a higher risk (and I never did a single exp-run for that).

Seriously, just look at the commits happening right now.  Here's
one example (the most recent commit, not picking up anything):
15:22 < CIA-28> [ports] glarkin * devel/Makefile: - Hook py-zope.interface to
the build

So now tell me how
.if ${OSVERION} > SOMETHING
        do something
.endif

in bsd.port.mk

is more risky then that particular commit which can potentially break
devel/ for all OSVERSIONs.

--
Stanislav Sedov
ST4096-RIPE