On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 04:13:32PM -0800, Doug Barton thus spake:
On 02/08/2012 20:18, Scot Hetzel wrote:
On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 9:28 PM, Doug Barton <do...@freebsd.org> wrote:
Following up to my previous post about "Why isn't WWWDIR_REL in the
default PLIST_SUB I broke open bsd.port.mk and found this:

PLIST_SUB+=     DOCSDIR="${DOCSDIR_REL}" \
               EXAMPLESDIR="${EXAMPLESDIR_REL}" \
               DATADIR="${DATADIR_REL}" \
               WWWDIR="${WWWDIR_REL}" \        *******!!!!????!!!****
               ETCDIR="${ETCDIR_REL}"

So this leads me to many questions, the first and most obvious of which
is, what the heck good is WWWDIR_REL in the first place? I searched the
ports tree and found 1,063 uses of it (outside of bpm itself). 1,035 of
them are literals in a pkg-plist, which at this point looks completely
useless. Of the 28 others 13 of them are PLIST_SUB related, which
apparently can also be removed. Most of the other 15 look like mistakes,
and all of them look like they can be fixed with little difficulty.

Those 1035 ports that are using WWWDIR_REL in their pkg-plist are
wrong and should be changed to use WWWDIR. Since PLIST_SUB will
automatically replace %%WWWDIR%% with ${WWWDIR_REL} in the pkg-plist.

Ok, glad we're in agreement on that.

So I'd like to propose the attached, not to be included until the
existing uses of WWWDIR_REL are updated of course. Can anyone tell me
why this would be a bad idea? I think being able to just use %%WWWDIR%%
in the plist would be a lot less confusing.

I believe the original purpose of the *_REL variables in bsd.port.mk
was to make maintaining bsd.port.mk easier.

Clearly I'm missing something then, because I don't see how they
accomplish anything useful. Perhaps you can enlighten me? There is
nothing in the CVS log that even mentions them, never mind why they were
added (bad portmgr, no cookie!).

Doug

Interesting bit here:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/porters-handbook/book.html#INSTALL-DOCUMENTATION

snip

DATADIR gets expanded to PREFIX/share/PORTNAME.
--> DATADIR_REL gets expanded to share/PORTNAME.
DOCSDIR gets expanded to PREFIX/share/doc/PORTNAME.
--> DOCSDIR_REL gets expanded to share/doc/PORTNAME.
EXAMPLESDIR gets expanded to PREFIX/share/examples/PORTNAME.
--> EXAMPLESDIR_REL gets expanded to share/examples/PORTNAME.

-jgh

--
Jason Helfman
System Administrator