On 3/25/12 2:26 PM, Jos Chrispijn wrote:
I just re-animated an my old FreeBSD server but have some serious issues with updating my ports collection:

fetch: http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/INDEX-6.bz2: Not Found
*** Error code 1

I already tried:
portupgrade make fetchindex
portupgrade make index

but every time the first error comes up. Can someone tell me how solve this?

upgrade to FreeBSD 7.3 or 7.4

6.4 is not supported by ports tree anymore.

Not only will you have problems with INDEX, but a lot of ports you want to (re)?build will have dependencies or libraries that don't exist in 6.4. (its not all that painful. build a 7.3/7.4 kernel with 6.x support, install it like 'make kernel KODIR=/boot/testkernel'
nextboot -f testkernel (i think that is syntax)
if it boots, follow instructions on rebuilding world and ports, make sure you put 7.3/4 kernel back on: make installkernel.

if it doesn't boot, well, power cycle and it will boot your old 6.4 (but, ps, strange, I have a test machine still running 6.4 and I test ports on it. never had that issue)

but the real answer is, upgrade so you don't have support problems.

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
>*| * SECNAP Network Security Corporation
d: +1.561.948.2259
w: http://people.freebsd.org/~scheidell