On 26/03/2012 18:24, Steve Frowly wrote:
Hi

I started using x11/slim a week ago and I must say I love it. One thing I
noticed is that some environment variables don't get set which I normally have
when I login at the console. To analyze the problem I run:

# logging in via syscons

$ env | sort>  normal-login

# logging in via slim and then invoking an xterm
$ env | sort>  slim-login

A diff showed the following difference:

-PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/home/stvy/bin:/home/stvy/bin:/home/stvy/bin
+PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/home/stvy/bin

-SHLVL=2
+SHLVL=1

-XTERM_LOCALE=en_US.UTF-8
+XTERM_LOCALE=C

-FTP_PASSIVE_MODE=YES

Does anyone have an idea what's going wrong? I noticed that FTP_PASSIVE_MODE
gets set in /etc/login.conf.

It's as if slim does not load /etc/login.conf

Thanks you for your help.

--

Steve

The login via the tty is done using a full login, the problem with slim is that it only calls a shell to run a .xinitrc (or .xsession) located in the user home directory thus removing every environment variable.

Because I never found a solution, I removed slim :(

Cheers,

--
David Demelier