Heino Tiedemann wrote on 16.06.2012 19:18:
Ruslan Mahmatkhanov <cvs-...@yandex.ru> wrote:
There is a patch from Koop Mast, that updates gimp to 2.8 (and
gegl/babl too). But new gimp also requires more fresh atk and all of
this needs testing. I can't recall the link for kwm's patch, and will
not put one that I have somewhere, because there is possibility that
there is updated version of it. Koop, can you please post that patch
link here so the interested people can check it on their own?

What about now - 3 weeks later? Is there any timeline for the actual
gimp?

Heino

It's not that easy as it was seemed to be. GIMP 2.8 requires following at minimum to make it build in current ports tree:

devel/glib20           2.30.3
x11-toolkits/gtk20     2.24.10
accessibility/atk      2.2.0
x11/babl               0.1.10
graphics/gegl          0.2.0
graphics/gdk-pixbuf2   2.24.1
x11-toolkits/pango     1.29.4

So I'm afraid that gimp will not be updated until next major Gnome components update (I'm not talking about Gnome3), because w/o that, any gimp update patches are pointless.

Anyway, I'm hacked together a minimal set of updated ports for testing:
http://people.freebsd.org/~rm/gimp.tgz

Just download and unpack somewhere. Then remove the corresponding old port directories (backing them up previously) from /usr/ports and copy the new ports from gimp.tgz (do not copy them over existing ports - there is local patches that should be removed first). Then do portmaster -a and you done. You may use Gimp 2.8. To switch to single-window mode enable checkbox in Windows -> Single-Window Mode. Everything is working as usual to me after this update, so I believe that it's safe to bring it to the main ports tree.

It is based on original Koop's gimp/gegl/babl patch and updated ports from MarcusCom CVS. I added some changes too:

- rejects against the current tree fixed
- whitespace fixes
- plist fixes
- optionsng conversion
- x11/babl: fix introspection build (based on
  https://413663.bugs.gentoo.org/attachment.cgi?id=314203)

Please report back about any success/failures - this brings as closer to get all this stuff in the official ports tree.

--
Regards,
Ruslan

Tinderboxing kills... the drives.