Matthew Seaman <m.sea...@infracaninophile.co.uk>:

On 26/06/2012 10:31, Andrea Venturoli wrote:
On 06/26/12 11:03, Matthew Seaman wrote:

Yes, it will multiply the number of ports.  By three is about right,
given that most ports will only have port-docs and port-examples
sub-ports.  However, first of all, you are assuming that the effort
required to install each of those sub-ports is the same as it is to
install a single port now.  That is simply not the case.

Not exactly.
I still didn't get the details, so I might speak nonsense, however...

The "effort" will be 3x processing time for portupgrade (or whatever) to
update the package database 3 times as much as before.
I remember the big X.org split up: going from a few ports to tens of
them slowed down an installation/upgrade process by an order of
magnitude (or even more).

The X.org split up is an extreme case -- it went from three or four
ports to several hundred ports as I recall.  Yes, that made a big
difference, because they were all individual ports and all of the
processing steps required to install a port had to be repeated for each
of them.

Sub-ports should be much more efficient, as there's a lot of the work
involved in installing which is a one-time thing when installing port
plus some collection of sub-ports.

How does that look like in detail? Are there any concepts on about
how it is supposed to work, what the implications are, and so forth?

Cheers
Marcus