On 12/19/12 17:30, David Wolfskill wrote:
On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 09:31:58AM -0600, Joseph A. Nagy, Jr wrote:
On 12/19/12 09:27, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 06:16:20AM -0800, David Wolfskill wrote:
The failure looks like:

At first glance, it does look like an icu problem.

Sorry I have no idea.
Bapt

I found symlinking the new icu library as the old one works for a dirty
hack.

Joseph -- sorry; I wasn't able to figure out which of the icu libraries
you meant, but I appreciate the note (with its implicit confirmation
that I'm not alone in seeing a problem with this).

cd /usr/local/lib/
ln -s libicui18n.so.50 libicui18n.so.48

now I don't exactly recommend it (and when I'm done rebuilding I"m removing the symlink) that's what worked for me (Firefox and Thunderbird wouldn't launch w/o being rebuilt, hence why the symlink). it's dirty but should get your using apps until then.

While I have not solved the problem, I believe that I've mitigated it to
some extent: Once portmaster terminated, it helpfully provided a list of
the ports (roughly in the sequence in which they were likely to have
been built, had things not gone wrong).

So I re-invoked portmaster, but I skipped the ports that were causing
the immediate distress... eventually failing again on net/wireshark
(as expected), so I iterated over the procedure until I was unable
to rebuild any of the ports left to be built.

The list of ports that failed (in my case -- and please note that
net/wireshark had failed its update for me prior to the devel/icu
update) is:

devel/qt4-assistant
www/qt4-webkit
graphics/ImageMagick
graphics/graphviz
devel/qt4-linguist
net/wireshark
<snip>

portmwaster -w -r devel/icu <--- what I invoked to rebuild all deps (from /usr/ports/UPDATING). I'm not running into any issues (I sorted them out when I updated pcre), though I did have issues when I was running the dep build for pcre (icu deps on pcre for some reason).

In essence: Don't make the symlink unless you have to, rebuild dependent ports and be done with it. I'm doing to wait until both icu and pcre need to be updated, then I'll update them together to rebuild everything together.

--
Yours in Christ,

Joseph A Nagy Jr
"Whoever loves instruction loves knowledge, But he who hates correction
is stupid." -- Proverbs 12:1
Original content CopyFree (F) under the OWL http://owl.apotheon.org