On 2013-01-06 21:38, Erik Cederstrand wrote:
Den 06/01/2013 kl. 18.25 skrev "O. Hartmann" <ohart...@zedat.fu-berlin.de>:
In contrast, LLVM changes the ABI (and API!) significantly between point
releases.  We therefore don't want to encourage anything outside of the base
system to link against these libraries, because doing so would prevent us from
importing a new LLVM release every six months - we'd either need to ship 4
copies of LLVM by an x.3 release, or stick with the one that we shipped in x.0.
Indeed, this is a serious point and the developer of LLVM has to be
blamed for that.
You can't seriously blame LLVM for making progress. If ports rely on a specific
version of LLVM, it would be far better to create devel/llvm31, devel/llvm32
etc.

Yes, I think that is probably the most effective approach.  It should
also be possible to install multiple versions simultaneously.