On 23/01/2013 05:30, Owen O' Shaughnessy wrote:
Hi Guys,

Wondering if anybody else has tried installing Postgres from
packages?

I have used pkg_add -r to install postgresql-server and
postgresql-client, both installed sucessfully, I've got server and
client binaries and libraries but no configuration files for the
server.

Does the package assume it is an upgrade, or is there another package
that you install to get the configuration files and initscripts?

I was expecting to find: /usr/local/etc/rc.d/postgresql I was
expecting a binary somewhere on the system called initdb

What you are after should be installed as part of the server package.
Sure you didn't get the client only?

initdb should be in /usr/local/bin with postgres and postmaster.

The postgresql.conf file will be inside the data dir after initdb is run.

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/postgresql should exist and contain info on adding
settings to /etc/rc.conf

Of course if you happen to have $PREFIX set to something other than
/usr/local things may have ended up elsewhere.
(not sure if that effects packages or just port builds)