I have a problem with updating a Makefile for an existing port. When
running "portlint -a" on the Makefile, it pops up with this warning:

WARN: Makefile: [53]: NOPORTDOCS found.  Consider using
PORT_OPTIONS:MDOCS

So, I have tried doing what the Porters Handbook suggested, and it just
bombs out with this useless message:

"Makefile", line 53: Malformed conditional (${PORT_OPTIONS:MDOCS})
"Makefile", line 58: if-less endif
make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue

I have tried all sorts of edits, but sans success. This is the latest
edit. I have omitted the useless stuff, I think.

PORTDOCS=       README CHANGE.LOG INSTALL Release.pdf

post-install:
        @if [ ! -d ${ETCDIR} ]; then \
                ${MKDIR} ${ETCDIR} ; \
        fi

        @${INSTALL_DATA} ${FILESDIR}/default.sample ${ETCDIR}
                @if [ ! -f ${ETCDIR}/default ]; then \
                        ${CP} -p ${ETCDIR}/default.sample \
                        ${ETCDIR}/default ; \
                fi

do-install:
        cd ${WRKSRC} && ${INSTALL_SCRIPT} ${PORTNAME}.sh ${PREFIX}/bin
        cd ${WRKSRC} && ${INSTALL_MAN} scamp.1 ${MANPREFIX}/man/man1

# Documentation
.if ${PORT_OPTIONS:MDOCS}
        ${MKDIR} ${DOCSDIR}
                 for f in ${PORTDOCS}
                ${INSTALL_DATA} ${WRKSRC}/${f} ${DOCSDIR}
                endfor
.endif

        @${CAT} ${PKGMESSAGE}

.include <bsd.port.mk>