On 05/10/13 15:50, b.f. wrote:

I don't think so, other than the ports Makefiles.  With regard to
bsd.openssl.mk, I was referring to:

59 .if defined(WITH_OPENSSL_BASE)

,,,

      73 .if exists(${LOCALBASE}/lib/libcrypto.so)
      74 check-depends::
      75         @${ECHO_CMD} "Dependency error: this port wants the
OpenSSL library from the FreeBSD"
      76         @${ECHO_CMD} "base system. You can't build against it,
while a newer"
      77         @${ECHO_CMD} "version is installed by a port."
      78         @${ECHO_CMD} "Please deinstall the port or undefine
WITH_OPENSSL_BASE."
      79         @${FALSE}
      80 .endif

Thanks a lot; now I've got a clear picture.

You can try to work around the problem by not using USE_OPENSSL, but
instead adding the openssl dependencies, link line and rpath
additions, etc. in the port Makefile. A number of ports used to do
this, for various reasons.  However, this should only be done when
necessary, to prevent the proliferation of ad hoc methods of using
openssl in the ports tree, which makes maintenance more difficult.

Here's what I did:
# find /usr/ports -type f -exec grep -l OPENSS_PORT "{}" ";"

This showed very few ports really requiring openssl from ports, none of which I had currently installed.

So I moved its libraries to /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg/ and pkg_deleted (-f) it. Newer compilations would pick up base, then.

A "portupgrade -Rf nss_ldap" later, I can once more use ssh.

ThunderBird still does not start, but I'll investigate later.

A real solution (probably as good a solution as we can arrive at
without investing a lot more time in patching many different ports, or
fundamentally changing the way that we handle linking) would be to
change the openssl port and bsd.openssl,mk to install the
security/openssl libraries in a location other than ${LOCALBASE}/lib

I'm no expert, but I would vote for a solution to be found and this one seems good to me.

 bye & Thanks
        av.