I solved the impasse by moving /var/db/pkg/local.sqlite to another place where
it wouldn't be found, in this case /var/tmp .

Then I went into $PORTSDIR/ports-mgmt/pkg and ran
make deinstall install
to update pkg.

That produced a new, small, /var/db/pkg/local.sqlite which I renamed to
local.sqlite.2 in preparation for restoring the older local.sqlite .

Then, with the new pkg installed but the ghost of the old pkg remaining in
local.sqlite, I ran, again, from $PORTSDIR/ports-mgmt/pkg
make deinstall install
to put local.sqlite in sync with the installation of updated pkg.

I think the pkg database is restored now.

At first, with sqlite3 not listed as a dependency of pkg, I wouldn't have
realized what needed fixing.

Tom