On 10/04/2013 17:29, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
On Fri, Oct 04, 2013 at 02:22:52PM +0200, Miroslav Lachman wrote:
I really like the current state with full packages. Disk space is cheap,
full packages is default for whole FreeBSD existence and it is easy to
maintain the system with it. If I want portA and portB, I just install
portA and portB and if I want to see installed ports, I see two ports
installed and not a bunch of lines like:
portA-bin
portA-doc
portA-dev
portB-bin
portB-doc
portB-dev

When I need to update those ports, I will update two ports, not six or
more ports / sub ports.

Embedded systems are corner case, where many things need to be tweaked
anyway.

So I like the idea of default full packages with possibility to
optionally select and install sub parts for those who really need the
fine grained list of packages.

That is because you keep thinking you have to build those ports yourself, we are
here speaking of binary packages.

regards,
Bapt

Can pkg include IPS facets feature or similar one? So, you'll have full binary package, but just subset of package files can be installed on the system. Facets solve *-devel hell. You just say once: "I don't want to have development-related parts here..."
--
Best regards,
Alexander Pyhalov,