--On October 24, 2013 10:21:25 AM +0200 John Marino <freebsd.cont...@marino.st> wrote:

On 10/24/2013 10:05, Marco Steinbach wrote:
Hi,

the 'FAQ on PORTREVISION' discussion found at [1] seems to suggest, that
enabling staging does not require a PORTREVISION bump.

On the other hand, enabling staging seems to be a change in packaging,
although from a users perspective the packaged files don't change.  And
a change in packaging is said to require a bump in PORTREVISION,
according to the referenced thread.

Are you referring to man pages?  I believe those were getting added to
the plist internally before, so the final difference in plist before and
after staging is zero (if man pages are the only item in question).

When enabling staging, is a maintainer supposed to bump PORTREVISION ?

I don't see many PORTREVISION bumps as result of stage conversion
(only).  So I think not.

I am working on a perfect example of why PORTREVISION MUST be bumped. I maintain security/barnyard2, which requires an update for reasons other than STAGE. As with any port, if I have to update it, I'm also going to comply with the latest architecture (as I did when OPTIONS changed), so I'm including a change to use STAGE.

There is a slave port, security/barnyard2-sguil, which has STAGE= no in its Makefile. If I don't bump the PORTREVISION, that port will not update and subsequently will not build, because it's expecting the parent port NOT to be using STAGE. So I need to use PORTREVISION to force clients to pickup the change to STAGE in_both_ports or they won't work at all.

I suspect that what's happened is that, without guidance, port maintainers are choosing both options for various reasons, which leads to inconsistency in the ports tree. ISTM a change as major as STAGE should REQUIRE that PORTREVISION be bumped.

--
Paul Schmehl, Senior Infosec Analyst