On 3/6/2014 3:07 PM, Mark Felder wrote:
Hi Darren,

I'm trying to understand exactly what we're looking at here. Is the
problem:

"nginx always builds against OpenSSL in base (for FreeBSD 10+?)" ?

If so, that's correct; it should not build against OpenSSL from ports
just because the version from ports happens to be installed.

No, actually, that's exactly what it should do. If I install OpenSSL from ports and set WITH_OPENSSL_PORT in /etc/make.conf, the express intent is to require all OpenSSL-using ports to link to the ports version.

Nginx with SPDY needs NPN, which means OpenSSL 1.0.1 or later. Thus for 9.x and earlier we need to set WITH_OPENSSL_PORT. For 10.0 and later, both versions will work, so the correct behaviour for nginx is to say it does not specifically require either by not setting either WITH_OPENSSL_* variable.