On Fri, 4 Apr 2014, Sindrome wrote:
On Apr 4, 2014, at 11:09 PM, Warren Block <wbl...@wonkity.com> wrote:
On Fri, 4 Apr 2014, sindrome wrote:
From: Warren Block [mailto:wbl...@wonkity.com]
On Fri, 4 Apr 2014, sindrome wrote:

There is a major inconsistency with what pkg_version -v says is
outdated and what pkgng says.

Of course.  pkg_version looks at the text files in /var/db/pkg, while pkg
looks at the database local.sqlite in that directory.  The first step in
using pkg is running pkg2ng, which imports the old information from the text
files into the sqlite table.  After that, pkg_version should not be used.
It's getting information from an outdated database.

So now the way to keep ports up-to-date is to execute 'pkg update' and 'pkg
upgrade'?

Are you saying I shouldn't svn update the ports tree anymore?

No, I did not say that.

By switching from the old pkg_* tools to pkg, all you have done is changed
which database is being used to track what is installed. Nothing else needs to
change.

Okay so just 'pkg update' followed by 'pkg upgrade' after svn update?

[Please stop top-posting, it makes replying to your messages more difficult.]

No. If you want to use ports (I do), use ports. pkg will keep track of them. Commands like pkg info replace the old versions of those commands, like pkg_info.

pkg update or pkg upgrade are only used when the user wants to use binary packages instead of ports.