Hello,

On 5/28/14, 2:13 PM, Jim Pazarena wrote:
I have several servers, some 9.1, 9.2, 10.0
all nagging about the deprecated package system.
So I've bitten the bullet and am converting to the new pkg system.
The notes for conversion indicate you must add "WITH_PKGNG=yes" to
make.conf. Also done.

On a new/fresh install, V10, should a person immediately place
"WITH_PKGNG=yes" in the make.conf ? And then is it not required
to run pkg2ng ? Or is it implied? It seems not, but I cannot find
documentation in this respect.

In my experience it is unnecessary to add "WITH_PKGNG=yes" in a fresh FreeBSD 10 box, and it is certainly not necessary to run pkg2ng since there are no installed packages.

The pkg_* tools are not included in FreeBSD 10 and the pkg(ng) system is the default.

--
Jim Ohlstein

"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." - Mark Twain