Hello,

There’s not a whole lot of people who even know this but it used to be that a
port could be installed without registering it in the package database by
specifying NO_PKG_REGISTER=1 on make(1) command line.  It’s not documented
anywhere else but in bsd.port.mk as far as I know.

Now with a port converted to staging it’s no longer possible to do the same
because if you turn off the packaging part then quite obviously nothing will
get installed because staged ports use pkg-plist to do the real install and
pkg-plist is a pkg(8) feature.

Now my question is that should this NO_PKG_REGISTER trick still work with
staged ports? If it can not be supported anymore there should be a notice
somewhere that this feature will no longer work with staged ports.

-Kimmo