On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 5:45 AM, David Wolfskill <da...@catwhisker.org>
wrote:

> /usr/ports is a working copy of head@r362876; during my daily portmaster
> run to update all installed ports on my laptop, I see that libevent1 is
> now replaced by libevent2.
>
> Apparently www/firefox had been linked against libevent, so portmaster
> tries to update www/firefox (after having updated several other ports).
>
> That process terminates rather abrutly, however:
>
> ===>>> All >> firefox-30.0_1,1 (12/15)
> 0;portmaster: All >> firefox-30.0_1,1 (12/15)^G
> ===>  Cleaning for firefox-30.0_2,1
> ===>  firefox-30.0_2,1 has known vulnerabilities:
> firefox-30.0_2,1 is vulnerable:
> mozilla -- multiple vulnerabilities
> CVE: CVE-2014-1561
> CVE: CVE-2014-1560
> CVE: CVE-2014-1559
> CVE: CVE-2014-1558
> CVE: CVE-2014-1557
> CVE: CVE-2014-1556
> CVE: CVE-2014-1555
> CVE: CVE-2014-1552
> CVE: CVE-2014-1551
> CVE: CVE-2014-1550
> CVE: CVE-2014-1549
> CVE: CVE-2014-1548
> CVE: CVE-2014-1547
> CVE: CVE-2014-1544
> WWW:
> http://portaudit.FreeBSD.org/978b0f76-122d-11e4-afe3-bc5ff4fb5e7b.html
>
> 1 problem(s) in the installed packages found.
> => Please update your ports tree and try again.
> => Note: Vulnerable ports are marked as such even if there is no update
> available.
> => If you wish to ignore this vulnerability rebuild with 'make
> DISABLE_VULNERABILITIES=yes'
> *** [check-vulnerable] Error code 1
>
> Stop in /common/ports/www/firefox.
> *** [build] Error code 1
>
> Stop in /common/ports/www/firefox.
>
> ===>>> make build failed for www/firefox
> ===>>> Aborting update
>

> As a reality check, I did take a quick look at
> <http://docs.freebsd.org/mail/current/svn-ports-head.html> to see
> if, perchance, there were commits to www/firefox to address those
> reported vulnerabilities since r362876, but the most recent commit
> I see there now is r362887 -- and none of the commits since r362876
> is about/for www/firefox (or anything related, AFAICT).
>
> So I'm left wondering how this is actually useful: I'm left with a copy
> of firefox installed (more or less) that has known vulnerabilities and
> is broken (since it's still linked against a library that no longer
> exists).  At least I was able to use a copy of firefox on a machine I
> haven't started to upgrade yet (so I could refer to the cited Web
> page(s)).
>
> Since I'm disinclined to globally disable all vulnerability checking,
> I'm proceeding with updates to the ports that portmaster hadn't yet got
> to first, before (temporarily) disabling the checks so I can have a
> working graphical Web browser with which I'm familiar again.
>
> Which reminds me: the cited directive re. the libevent change (in
> UPDATING): "pkg delete libevent" also deleted sysutils/tmux, so the
> [...]

David,

Since the old firefox was vulnerable and we don't have a port of Firefox 31
yet, the best choice seems to be to install the new, libevent2 version (_2)
with DISABLE_VULNERABILITIES defined so that it will still install.
Obviously, you just set DISABLE_VULNERABILITIES for the firefox build and
then unset it. Not ideal, but the only available work around.

Also, the solver in pkg will re-install all dependent ports when a port is
deleted. (It does ask first.) I just note the "extra" deleted ports and
re-install. But I do wish we had had a hears-up on this as I lost gnuplot
yesterday for quite a while which rather seriously impacted my web pages as
new graphs were not being generated. After that first system, I was
smarter, but there really needs to be a BIG warning in UPDATING and when
pkg delete deletes dependent packages. There ought to be a better way, but
-o does not help as libevent2 already existed. This one is VERY user
unfriendly!
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
E-mail: rkober...@gmail.com