On 08/03/14 22:14, David Wolfskill wrote:
On Sun, Aug 03, 2014 at 10:10:27PM -0400, Naram Qashat wrote:
If there is
a way to find out when any process is attempting to modify a file, that would
probably help me narrow it down, but I'm not aware of anything that can do that,

Well, "chflags schg /usr/ports/INDEX*" would *prevent* the modification
-- and with luck, the offending process might whine or squawk (thus
providing you with identification).

"chflags noschg /usr/ports/INDEX*" to undo it.

Peace,
david

This was a really good suggestion. While I wasn't lucky in regards to having a process whine about being unable to write to INDEX-9, I did find that now there is an INDEX-9.bz2 sitting in /usr/ports, which I assume comes from a download of it. I'm going to try setting INDEX-9.bz2 to also have the schg flag on it, maybe that'll make a process complain. If not, at least I can modify my manual INDEX building to remove the schg flag before updated INDEX and then setting it again afterwards.

Thanks,
Naram Qashat