On 08/23/14 09:14, Matthew Seaman wrote:
On 23/08/2014 08:40, Kurt Jaeger wrote:
     I have a program (several, actually) I need to install from the
generic package repository.
     These programs depend on openldap-client; however I have
openldap-sasl-client installed.  In my experience the two have been
interchangeable when compiling from ports.
     Is there a way to tell 'pkg install' "Yeah, I know it
says openldap-client, but the same version of
openldap-sasl-client satisfies the dependency"?  Or do I just use 'pkg
install -M' and hope everything works?
I had this issue in the past, too, and am not aware of a solution.
There isn't a good solution for this right now if you're using the
packages from the official FreeBSD repositories.  You get the default
dependency chain which is baked into the packages.  Which means
openldap-client rather than openldap-sasl-client[*].

If you need to change options for various ports, then the best solution
is to compile your own.  Give poudriere a go -- it is surprisingly easy
and unstressful to use.  Build yourself a repo with your customized
ports in it and away you go.

We do have plans for improving the ports behaviour in this reguard.
Dependencies based on Provides/Requires/Conflicts should help a lot, as
will sub-packages and dependency version-ranges.  This stuff is all on
the roadmap, but there's a lot of work to do to get from here to there,
so don't expect it to all start magically working tomorrow.

        Cheers,

        Matthew

[*] In this case openldap-client and openldap-sasl-client are clearly
API compatible, since on compilation, it's not a problem to swap from
one to the other.  The question when using binary packages is if they
are ABI compatible, which is a whole different kettle of fish.

Hum, I wonder if we couldn't just add sasl support by default?

Xin Li, would there be a downside to this?

Chris

believed to be clean.