On 10/31/2014 11:56 AM, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
tijl@ spotted an interesting point, distinfo and pkg-descr files files
convenient are taking a lot of space for "free", we can reduce the size of the
while ports tree by a factor 2 by simply merging them into one of the other
files (Makefile and/or pkg-plist) from my testing it really devides
significantly the size of the tree.

Ideas I got so far only concerns pkg-descr:
Adding an entry in the Makefile for the WWW:
WWW= bla
or an entry in the plist: @www http...

I really do like

DESCR=Some relatively short amount of text that describes the port \
      in more detail than COMMENT can do. This could be multiple \
      sentences and broken across lines.

We have multi-line entries all over the place with things like long commands in pre- and post-install targets. Since pkg-descr tends to be a write-once file, I think it's a pretty tiny amount of pain for shaving off that many files. If you're really are worried about making maintainers do non-natural line breaks for readability, add a "make reflowdescr" target or add something to porttools that does it for us.

The reason I like having this stuff in the Makefile is that you can do something like this:

# make -C /usr/ports/foo/bar -V DESCR

Concerning the distinfo I have no idea.

Could we do something similar to dependency lists?  For example:

DISTINFO= example1.tbz:size:{SHA256}hash \
          example2.tar.gz:size:{SHA256}hash

In the simple case where DISTFILES is one generated filename:

DISTINFO= ${DISTFILES}:size:{SHA256}hash