On Aug 24 21:18, Bernard Spil wrote:
Today new vulnerabilities with (3)DES and BlowFish were made public and I believe we'll see release of another paper which is OpenSSL 1.1 related with the release of OpenSSL 1.1.0. I have no knowledge if the paper/report contained vulnerabilities that have postponed the release of 1.1.0 but I think that is likely. That would mean that these vulnerabilities have been solved pre-release.

As far as I know x25519 is still a Draft RFC so unlikely to appear in browsers for a while. I can see LibreSSL adding this as well, whether in the draft version or in the final. This they did with ChaCha20/Poly1305 as well (draft in 2.3, release in 2.4). The LibreSSL devs would have closed the request if they didn't intend to support it https://github.com/libressl-portable/portable/issues/114

I don't think that FreeBSD will be making LibreSSL the libssl/libcrypto provider any time soon. The support timelines for LibreSSL (<1.5 years) are just too short for the FreeBSD release support (>3 years). OpenSSL is speeding up the release cycle as well but at least we can rely on RedHat to backport changes to older versions.

LibreSSL in base is a bit more than playing, it is becoming the default in HardenedBSD very soon and very likely in TrueOS (AKA PC-BSD) as of 11.0 RELEASE. Both HardenedBSD and TrueOS have a different attitude towards updating things in the base system as they do not serve as upstream to other projects/products that require longer support timelines. Come see my talk at EuroBSDCon, it will contain LibreSSL in base things.

Cheers,

Bernard.

Thanks for that reply. That answers things quite nicely. I believe x25519 is currently in chrome:

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/viewClient.html?name=Chrome&version=51&platform=Win%207&key=126

It has x25519 listed as an Elliptic curve near the bottom. So for that reason I am interested in enabling it as I like to do things bleeding edge! I will probably stick with security/libressl-devel for the foreseeable future though I think and at least wait and see what people make of OpenSSL 1.1 after a few months if only for the fact it's a bit of a pain to switch back again by recompiling everything.

--
Matt